Once again, this year, Stack Overflow has polled 80,000 developers world-wide to learn about their habits, interests and technological trends. The survey results are detailed and contain some interesting statistics to draw a wide array of conclusions. Tens of thousands of developers across the globe participated in the survey. Most of them were from the United States, India, Germany, UK and Canada. Seventy percent (70%) of respondents were under the age of 35 and about half have been coding professionally for more than 10 years.
Here are some of the most interesting facts we discovered about software developers.
- By the age of 18, approximately one-third of professional developers had not written their first line of code. Although learning to code in high school is advantageous, a lack of experience should not deter a motivated graduate from trying themselves in IT.
- Overall, the profession is full of new joiners, with more than 50% of respondents indicating they have been coding for less than ten years, and over 35% having less than five years in software development.
- Nearly 60% of respondents learned to code through online resources. Online courses, forums, and other online resources are popular among younger respondents. Older respondents, on the other hand, relied on more traditional methods such as school and books.
- Approximately 11% of professional developers identified themselves as independent contractors, freelancers, or self-employed.
- When faced with a problem, 90% of professional developers turn to Google for assistance. Other methods for overcoming the challenge included working on something else for a while, calling a friend, engaging in physical activity, and using meditation.
- AWS maintains its lead as the most widely used cloud platform, but Google Cloud and Microsoft Azure made substantial gains from last year.
- By far the most popular Integrated Development Environment (IDE) is Visual Studio Code.
- Perl falls from being the highest-paid language last year to fifth this year. Clojure developers have the highest median salary.
The wealth of information contained in the Stack Overflow survey results is only briefly touched upon in these highlights. If you want to learn more, you can dive deeper in the topic here. And follow us on social media to be aware of the latest IT trends and tech news.